I’ve written about a variety of subjects — food history/culture, health, public safety, and more — and I write a daily food newsletter called Nosh Box. My strongest writing samples are below. For more, please take a look at the other pages in the menu above or links below.
- “Columbia’s hidden figure: Verna Laboy brings Annie Fisher to life,” Vox Magazine, 2017 (feature on food, race, and historiography — the magazine’s cover story. View it in print here. This story is a finalist for the Association of Food Journalists award for best student writing on food.)
- “Without database, Missouri pharmacists struggle to detect prescription drug abuse,” Columbia Missourian, 2016 (this story shared a first-place prize for local business coverage from the Missouri Press Association)
- “Angling for Catfish’s Future,” Vox Magazine, 2018
- “Beyond the bathroom debate, transgender people face challenges accessing health care,” Columbia Missourian, 2016
- “Never Underestimate the Doughnut Lobby,“ Roads & Kingdoms, 2018
- “Meet the Minneapolis Cider Maker Tackling Food Waste by Crowdsourcing His Apples,” Food Tank, 2018
- “Inside Pizza Tree’s new late-night pizza delivery window,” MOVE Magazine, 2016
- Letter to the Editor: “At memorial sites, bookstores are essential, not ‘insensitive,’” Boston Globe, 2014
Selected Nosh Box newsletters:
- “Nosh Box: Pick the Right Tortilla or Face the Cornsequences,“ Feb. 9, 2018 (on using corn vs. flour tortillas)
- “Nosh Box: What’s a Food Critic’s Role in the #MeToo Movement?“ Feb. 5, 2018
- “Nosh Box: As American as Kraft Singles“ Jan. 17, 2018 (on what American cheese actually is)
I’ve been writing Nosh Box since October 2017. See our current archives and pre-Jan. 26, 2018, archives for more.